Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Self-Help Book Will be Right Next to Oprah's

So Steve Jobs passed away yesterday.  His ideas impacted a lot of my generation especially since I am currently typing this on a Mac Book Pro while charging my iPhone and iPod.  All of my facebook friends have been using quotes from his Stamford commencement speech in honor of him. Which btw if you haven't read or watched it. Do it right now. Seriously. This blog will still be here when you get back. Google it right now.

So I jumped on the bandwagon and put up one of my favorite quotes from the speech:


“When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: ‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.’ It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.” - Steve Jobs

Which I think this quote is great and I also think whether or not you like Apple or iPods or even Steve Jobs I think he has some wisdom that everyone should take in. For example, by the time he was 25 Steve Jobs was a millionaire. I turn 25 in about a month and unless something drastic really happens I will not be a millionaire by the time I'm 25. Whatever is the direct opposite of a millionaire that is what I am.

Now this quote maybe dismissed because I'm sure some people think "well yeah it's easy to take chances and try something new when you have money." Which is true. But Steve wasn't always a millionaire and as someone who is currently trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life, I love it. For a long time my job was something I dreaded going to and just got up and did it everyday because I thought I had to. Until about 2 weeks ago (which congrats Kelly you've reached another milestone. i've officially been unemployed for 2 weeks!) when I was laid off. For a long time, when I got up in the morning and looked in the mirror going to work was not something I looked forward to. And now I have the chance to find something different. I want to be able to look in the mirror and say "yes"

Which can be hard to do. I have three interviews coming up next week (which btw replace Liz Lemon with me and you have what I've been doing all morning)



While I'm super excited to have these interviews I'm attempting to not rush into anything until I find something that I really want to do. Which let's be honest is hard especially since as an almost 25 year old I still don't really know what I want to do. However, someone told me to read the Secret and then I would find out the answers to all of my questions.

So here's the thing, I totally thought the idea of "The Secret" was to just imagine something and it happens.  Then after my extensive research of "The Secret," aka googling (thank you wikipedia!) it and then getting bored I discovered that the actual idea  is way too complicated.  But I did take to the idea of imagining something and then it happening.  To me that sounds like a pretty sweet deal, imagine something and it happens.  So if "The Secret" idea is not that, I have decided to make my own philosophy.

Anyways the working title for my life-changing theory is "Stop talking and change your life." This means if you want something stop complaining about it and go get it.  For example, I always wanted a blog, but I was to afraid to ever start one.  But then after encouragement from friends I started my blog.  And lets face it I have a lot of great things to say, or in reality every person has an opinion.

Anyways, there are many more important things that you can use this new ground breaking theory on.   Like if you want a new job, shut up and go get it.  I know there are excuses but I really don't care.  It's your life so if you want to hold yourself back from happiness go right ahead, just don't complain to me when I have better facebook pictures because my life is far more interesting.

Last reason this theory is great, no one wants to be around a bad attitude.  So if you were born with one, or for some reason you are just really angry just decide to change it. 

This theory might have flaws but I don't care, I'm going to implement it in my life. Most of the time I am the happiest person alive so you should just take my advice. 

So think about what you want when you go to sleep tonight and then tomorrow first thing make a list of how you are going to get it.

There you go, I changed your life.  You are Welcome. My book tour will probably start in St. Louis.


I'll leave you with another great quote from Steve Job's speech.


“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” —Steve Jobs 2005 Stanford Commencement

No comments:

Post a Comment