Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Working Hard for the Money

I'm listening to Pandora while job searching and "Airplanes" by "B.O.B."   came on and after listening to the lyrics I want to set everything on fire with a good rant. Especially these lyrics from verse 1:
Yeah, somebody take me back to the days
Before this was a job, before I got paid
Before it ever mattered what I had in the bank
Yeah, back when I was tryin' to get a tip at Subway
There is NOTHING more condescending in the entire world than a successful, wealthy person whining about the perils of having money. How many poor people do you come across who are all "YES I love not having money and struggling day to day." (Other then nuns or crazy hippies).  that's right ZERO. Money is a good thing.
You miss those days BOB? Welp, I've got an idea! You go to your room and slam your door, I'll plop down at the kitchen table frustrated and then on the count of three, we'll simultaneously think, "I WISH WE COULD JUST TRADE PLACES!" and Freaky Friday our way out of both of our problems. How does that sound? Ever been a an almost 25 year old who can't buy name brand peanut butter or oatmeal? OH, REALLY? YOU HAVEN'T? Give me all of your money and then you can experience it. You'll love it. It's so...honest.

I mean I may not have worked at Subway like you did BOB but I put in my years at Schnucks wearing fake denim, paying union dues, and stocking Vagisil. And I did it all for the Mighty Dollar. But let me tell you, the second I got a real job that paid more then 7 bucks an hour, I haven't complained about missing the "good old days".

Go away BOB
But i sure did rock the fake denim.


1 comment: